What is RV Insurance?
Whether you are traveling the country in a motorhome or like to camp on the weekends, having the right insurance coverage lets you do it with peace of mind. Coverages vary dramatically depending on the type of RV you are insuring and being an independent insurance agency, we will get you the coverages you need at the best price.
Types of RV Insurance
Motor Home Insurance – Class A
Camper Van Insurance – Class B
Motor Home Insurance – Class C
Camper Van Insurance
Fifth Wheel Trailer Insurance
Pop Up Camper Insurance
Travel Trailer Insurance
Recreational Vehicle Coverages
Bodily Injury Liability: Pays damages for bodily injury or death resulting from an accident for which you are at fault. Limits should be enough to cover a judgment against you in a lawsuit without jeopardizing your personal assets. Not applicable if you can’t drive the vehicle itself and it is pulled behind your vehicle.
Property Damage Liability: Pays for damages to someone else’s property resulting from an accident for which you are at fault. Not applicable if you can’t drive the vehicle itself and it is pulled behind your vehicle.
Medical Payments: Medical expense coverages for the treatment of injuries to drivers and passengers of your car. Not applicable if you can’t drive the vehicle itself and it is pulled behind your vehicle.
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist: Protection to help compensate you for injuries or property damage caused by a driver without insurance or with insufficient coverage limits. Not applicable if you can’t drive the vehicle itself and it is pulled behind your vehicle.
Comprehensive: Non-collision type accidents or claims causing damage to your vehicle. Examples include, but are not limited to, hail damage, hitting an animal, glass, theft, vandalism, flood, and fire. This coverage includes a deductible. The higher the deductible, the lower your premium will be.
Collision: Collision type accidents with another vehicle or object causing damage to your vehicle. This coverage includes a deductible. The higher the deductible, the lower your premium will be.
Additional Options: Most popular include rental reimbursement, roadside assistance and towing, loan or lease gap coverage, diminishing deductibles, full glass deductibles, pay in full discounts, automatic payment discounts, and paperless discounts.
Company Specific Options: As an independent agency, we have multiple company options to find you the best value and features. Some unique coverages include:
- Total Loss Replacement – Replaces a “totaled” RV with a new model of similar make and quality.
- Pest Damage Protection – Provides coverage for damage to motor homes and non-stationary travel trailers caused by rats, mice, insects, birds, or other non-domesticated animals.
- Roof Protection – Provides coverage to repair or replace a vehicle’s roof if it malfunctions, even if the cause is wear and tear. The coverage also includes damage to other parts of the vehicle caused directly by the roof’s malfunction.
Emergency Vacation Expense – Provides reimbursement coverage up to a certain dollar amount for lodging and transportation if an RV is damaged during a trip.
- Full Time Package – Extra coverage for customers who use an RV as their home.
- Replacement Cost Personal Effects – Protects personal items including cameras, clothes, cell phones, etc.
Most companies offer a storage option, where all coverages except comprehensive are halted, and therefore, those related premiums are halted, saving you premiums when you are not using your RV for several months. Comprehensive coverage still provides protection against theft, fire, hail, etc. when the RV is in storage.
Although auto insurance can insure RV’s and motorhomes, it is not designed for this specifically. The auto policy often won’t provide the full line of liability or collision coverage that you might need. In addition, it doesn’t cover all of the possessions you may have in your RV such as clothes, computers, satellites, sporting and camping goods, jewelry, and electronics. There are companies that write separate RV insurance policies that are usually more comprehensive and more economical than adding on to your auto policy.
As more and more people purchase recreational vehicles, insurance companies are creating additional features regarding coverage. See the Company Specific Options above for a list of some of these coverages.
Jeff Johnson Insurance Agency is an independent insurance agency, which allows us to quote a number of different companies to find you the best fit and the best price for your insurance needs. Benefits of working with us as independent agents include:
- Save time – we do the leg work for you to quote numerous options
- Offer choices – we aren’t a captive agency and limited to representing one company
- Offer Expert, Unbiased advice – we can quote numerous companies to find you the best fit and are not biased to steer you to a single company
- Save money – with so many options to quote, we can find you the best value for your money
- Forge a long term relationship – if your company loses its competitiveness over the years, we can requote you with all of our other options and keep you as a customer as your agent
Jeff Johnson Insurance Agency is affiliated with Atlas Insurance Brokers, LLC, which is based out of Rochester, Minnesota. Atlas provides services for over 100 agencies throughout Minnesota and Iowa. The affiliation gives our Agency greater flexibility and a number of options to provide you the most cost-effective and comprehensive insurance packages and provide you with the best fit for your needs.
If you have an accident or claim you can contact Jeff or Dan at Jeff Johnson Insurance Agency and they can assist you through the process or you can contact the company you are insured with using their 800 contact information on our Customer Service page.